Syria’s FM denies Turkish buildup at Syrian airbase struck by Israel

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said his government had made clear to Israel that Turkey was not building a military presence at Abu al-Duhur airbase before Israel struck the facility, Axios reported on Wednesday.

Al-Shaibani said that Syria and Israel had been in contact before the attack and that Damascus had explained the work at the base was limited to rehabilitating facilities damaged during the war for use by the Syrian Air Force.

“There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site,” al-Shaibani told Axios in written responses.

Israel carried out the strike on Aug. 18, dropping at least eight bombs on the base’s runways and hangars, according to Axios. The attack damaged recently rebuilt runways, though no casualties were reported.

Israeli officials said the strike was intended to prevent a Turkish military buildup. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had warned Syria against allowing a Turkish presence at the base.

Al-Shaibani acknowledged that Turkish military officers had visited the site days before the strike but said this was part of military cooperation involving training and the exchange of expertise.

He added that Syria was also cooperating militarily with Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar and Russia and had the sovereign right to develop relations with Turkey.

The foreign minister pointed out that Damascus remained interested in reaching a security agreement with Israel despite the strike, adding that previous negotiations mediated by the Trump administration had produced an agreement on paper before Israel withdrew from its commitments.

By Jwan Shekaki