Saudi, U.S. officials discuss Syria developments in Riyadh
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister, on Sunday met with U.S. Special Envoy to Syria, Thomas Barrack, in Riyadh to discuss the latest developments in Syria and ways to support stability in the country.
During the meeting, the two sides exchanged views on a number of files and issues of mutual interest, with a focus on efforts aimed at reinforcing stability and advancing diplomatic coordination regarding Syria.
The talks came a day after Barrack met Syria’s Transitional President Ahmad al-Sharaa at the People’s Palace in Damascus, in the presence of Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani, according to the Syrian presidency.
The presidency said the meeting addressed recent developments in Syria and the region, in addition to prospects for enhancing economic cooperation and discussing issues of shared concern.
In a post on X, Barrack referred to a meeting held just over a year ago between U.S. President Donald Trump and al-Sharaa in Saudi Arabia, which he said marked “a new chapter” with the announcement of lifting sanctions to give Syria “a chance to achieve greatness.”
Barrack said that the progress made since then had been “remarkable,” expressing optimism that future opportunities could lead to significant advancement for the Syrian people and long-term stability.
He added that Syria had become a testing ground for a new regional alliance that combines diplomacy, integration, and hope for the entire region, attributing this trajectory to the leadership of President Ahmad al-Sharaa and the diplomatic efforts led by Foreign Minister al-Shaibani.