France returns 23 Syrian artifacts during Macron’s Damascus visit

DAMASCUS, Syria (North Press) – France has returned 23 Syrian archaeological artifacts that had been on loan to the Arab World Institute in Paris since 2011, Syria’s Directorate-General of Antiquities and Museums (DGAM) announced on Monday, coinciding with French President Emmanuel Macron’s visit to Damascus.

In a statement, the DGAM said the artifacts would be received at the National Museum in Damascus by Director-General Masoud Badawi and Museum Affairs Director Ammar Kanawi, marking their return to Syria after 15 years.

The handover coincides with Macron’s arrival in Damascus on Monday evening, the first visit by a French president to Syria since 2009. He is accompanied by an official delegation that includes the president of the Arab World Institute.

According to the directorate, the artifacts were originally scheduled to be returned in 2014, but the outbreak of war in Syria prevented their repatriation.

It added that the al-Assad regime failed to secure their return, while French authorities withheld the collection due to security concerns and the lack of appropriate preservation conditions in Syria.

The returned collection will become part of the National Museum’s permanent exhibition showcasing the civilizations of the Arab world alongside archaeological pieces from other Arab countries, the DGAM said.

The directorate described the timing of the return as a reflection of Syria’s cultural and historical significance and a sign of renewed cultural ties between Syria and France after 15 years of interruption.

It also called on governments, cultural institutions, and local communities to support ongoing efforts to recover Syria’s cultural heritage and preserve the country’s historical identity.

By Malin Mohammed