Syrian Civil Defense responds to 1,256 mine clearance operations in 2025

DAMASCUS, Syria (North Press) – Syrian Minister of Emergency and Disaster Management Raed al-Saleh on Monday said that Civil Defense teams responded to 1,256 mine and unexploded ordnance clearance operations across the country and tackled more than 10,000 fires during 2025.

Al-Saleh said the number of fires recorded this year was lower than last year, attributing the decline to the activation of an early warning system.

The minister also announced that authorities had cleared approximately 4 million tons of debris across Syria’s governorates, including 1 million tons that were recycled.

“We inherited nothing from the former regime that was fit for service,” al-Saleh said, referring to the condition of emergency response infrastructure following the fall of the al-Assad regime.

He added that new debris removal projects are planned for Deir ez-Zor, Rural Damascus, and Homs, pending the completion of the necessary administrative procedures.

By Malin Mohammed