Syria launches internationally backed plan to eliminate chemical weapons

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Syria announced on Wednesday a new plan to eliminate remnants of its chemical weapons program, in a move backed by the United States and several Western states.

The initiative aims to dismantle the legacy of chemical weapons developed and used during the rule of former Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, whose government was accused of deploying banned agents throughout the country’s conflict.

Despite Syria’s accession to the Chemical Weapons Convention in 2013 and its declaration of a 1,300-ton stockpile, prohibited use continued in subsequent years, raising doubts about the completeness of the disclosures.

According to Syria’s ambassador to the United Nations, Ibrahim Olabi, an international task force supported by countries including Germany, United Kingdom, Canada, and France will oversee efforts to locate and destroy remaining elements of the program.

The operation will be conducted under the supervision of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), which has previously investigated chemical weapons use in Syria.

OPCW experts estimate that up to 100 sites across the country may require inspection to determine the presence of toxic agents and the appropriate methods for their disposal.

These sites could include military bases, laboratories, and administrative facilities, according to a diplomatic source familiar with the matter.

The dismantling process is expected to be complex, costly, and time-consuming, potentially taking months or years to complete. Officials noted that ongoing regional tensions, including the expanding conflict involving Iran, could complicate the timeline.

Olabi said the move reflects a shift in Syria’s position, from concealing chemical weapons activities to actively leading efforts to dismantle them.

Previous international investigations concluded that nerve agents such as sarin, along with chlorine and sulfur mustard gas, were used during the conflict, though the full scope of the program remains unknown.

“We don’t know what remains. It was a secret program,” Olabi said, noting that identifying and declaring any remaining stockpiles will be a key responsibility for the Syrian authorities.

A diplomatic source added that progress could be slowed by the current regional situation, but stressed that the mission remains essential to prevent the future use or proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

By Malin Mohammed