Damascus car bomb blast injures 23, kills army member

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Syrian authorities said on Tuesday evening that the number of casualties from a car bomb explosion in the Bab Sharqi area of Damascus had risen to 23 injured, while one member of the Syrian army was killed.

The Syrian Health Ministry stated that the explosion resulted from a booby-trapped vehicle that detonated in the area, causing multiple injuries.

Earlier in the day, the Syrian Defense Ministry announced that one army member had lost his life and several others were wounded following the explosion in the Syrian capital.

According to the ministry, a Syrian army unit had discovered an explosive device prepared for detonation near a building affiliated with the Ministry of Defense in the Bab Sharqi neighborhood.

The ministry said security personnel immediately attempted to dismantle the device before a car bomb exploded in the same area, killing one army member and injuring others with varying degrees of wounds.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, and Syrian authorities have not released further details regarding the circumstances surrounding the explosion.

By Atoun Jan