ISIS attack, separate shootings leave casualties in Deir ez-Zor

Deir ez-Zor, Syria (North Press) – Suspected militants of the Islamic State attacked on Wednesday night the house of a former oil well investor in the eastern countryside of Deir ez-Zor, eastern Syria, while separate incidents across the countryside left one person dead and several others wounded.

A local source from the town of Diban told North Press that ISIS militants targeted the house of Ahmad al-Kashma, a former oil well investor, after he allegedly refused to pay “zakat” demanded by the group.

The attackers used machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades in the assault, sparking clashes with those inside the house, the source said. The gunmen later fled the scene, leaving only material damage.

According to the source, al-Kashma had received a message via WhatsApp two days earlier in which militants threatened to kill him if he did not pay the requested money. ISIS members had also reportedly posted leaflets on electricity poles in Diban calling on traders to pay zakat.

In separate incidents in the region over the past hours, five people were killed or injured in attacks carried out by unidentified gunmen, according to a security source from the Internal Security Forces.

In the town of Tayyba, east of Deir ez-Zor, gunmen riding a motorcycle shot and killed Qussay al-Kharouf, a member of Syria’s Ministry of Defense.

Another attack in Diban targeted Mo’men al-Abdullah, a member of the Internal Security Forces, who was seriously wounded after assailants opened fire with automatic weapons.

Meanwhile, residents in al-Mayadin found the body of Nazzal al-Kamal, a civilian with no known affiliation to any military or political group, after he was shot by unknown gunmen.

In the village of Daranj, locals discovered the body of Omar Obeid al-Najras near the desert outskirts hours after he lost contact with his family.

Another man, Hamid al-Issa, a former member of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), was wounded after gunmen opened fire on him in Abu al-Nitel as he returned from dawn prayers.

Local authorities have not yet identified the perpetrators behind the shootings.

By Omar Abdurrahman