Barzani Charity Foundation says efforts ongoing to deliver aid to besieged Kobani
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Mousa Ahmad, head of the Barzani Charity Foundation, said on Saturday that the foundation is continuing its efforts to deliver humanitarian aid to the city of Kobani, northern Syria, stressing that the city holds a special place for the organization.
In a statement to North Press, Ahmad said that since the foundation entered the areas of Rojava, it has focused its efforts on reaching Kobani, adding, “we continue to hear the voices of our people there. The Barzani Charity Foundation has supported Kobani during previous crises.”
He noted that Kobani holds a special status “both globally and for us at the Foundation,” explaining that since the first day of the siege, the foundation has been in contact with the United Nations and local administrative officials in Qamishli to discuss mechanisms for delivering aid to the city, but has yet to receive a response.
Ahmad added that outreach efforts also included Syria’s Interior and Foreign Ministries in Damascus, where two possible routes for aid delivery were proposed, the first via the city of Aleppo, given the foundation’s office in Afrin, and the second via the Hasakah route.
He emphasized that Kurdish leader Masoud Barzani remains in continuous contact with the foundation and relevant parties to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian assistance to Kobani, noting that both Masoud Barzani and Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani are paying close attention to the city.
Ahmad said this focus comes amid deteriorating humanitarian conditions in Kobani.
“We are unfortunately witnessing a severe humanitarian situation in the city supported by reports we are receiving from inside Kobani and from international organizations.”
Earlier this week, the Barzani Charity Foundation announced during a press conference that 165 trucks loaded with humanitarian aid had entered Kurdish areas in Syria’s Hasakah to assist displaced families.
Ahmad said the assistance targeted 57,955 displaced people, including 9,180 women, and was distributed across 82 schools currently being used as shelters for displaced residents.