Mossad chief, Syrian FM discuss Turkish military role before strikes

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Israel’s Mossad chief and Syria’s foreign minister discussed Turkey’s growing military presence and arms support to Damascus days before Israeli strikes targeted a Syrian airbase, Reuters reported on Wednesday.

The Aug. 14 phone call between Mossad chief Roman Gofman and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani was among the highest-level known contacts between Israel and the Syrian administration led by President Ahmad al-Sharaa. 

Three sources familiar with the matter told Reuters that Turkish military involvement in Syria dominated the discussion.

One source said Gofman asked about Turkey’s expanding military presence, arms sales and provision of drones. Another senior official said he specifically raised questions about Turkish weapons supplies to Syria’s army.

The call came four days before Israel struck the Abu al-Dhuhur Air Base. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Damascus had been close to allowing Turkish troops to deploy there despite Israeli warnings that such a move would threaten Israel’s security.

Turkey rejected Israeli allegations regarding its military role in Syria, accusing Israel of using them to justify what it called unlawful strikes violating Syrian sovereignty.

Turkey has become a close ally of the al-Sharaa administration since the fall of former President Bashar al-Assad in December 2024, fueling Israeli concerns over Ankara’s growing influence in Syria.

U.S. Ambassador to Turkey and Special Envoy for Syria and Iraq Tom Barrack described the strikes as an unnecessary escalation and said Washington was working on a deconfliction mechanism involving Israel, Turkey and Syria.

By Jwan Shekaki