SDF commander condemns Iranian attack on Kurdistan Region PM’s office

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Commander in Chief of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) Mazloum Abdi on Monday condemned Iranian drone attacks targeting the personal office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the region’s security and intelligence chief.

“We stand in solidarity with the government and people of the Kurdistan Region and strongly condemn the targeting of the Prime Minister’s office,” Abdi said in a post on X.

He described the attack as “rejected and unethical,” saying it represented an assault on the will of the Kurdistan Region’s people and a key part of Iraq’s state institutions.

Earlier on Monday, Barzani said the Kurdistan Region Counter-Terrorism Directorate confirmed that the two sites were targeted by Iranian drones.

He condemned the strikes as “reckless and unacceptable,” calling them a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region.

“Such attacks will never deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protecting our citizens,” Barzani said.

He did not provide details on casualties or damage from the attacks.

The strikes come amid heightened tensions between Iran and the United States and a broader escalation across the region. The Kurdistan Region has previously faced Iranian missile and drone attacks, with Tehran saying it targets Iranian opposition groups and other security-related sites.

The Kurdistan Regional Government has repeatedly condemned Iranian attacks on its territory and warned that violations of its sovereignty threaten regional stability.

By Ster Youssef