QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – French President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday that the integration of forces that fought the Islamic State (ISIS), particularly the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), should continue while respecting the commitments already adopted.
Macron made the remarks during a joint press conference with Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa at the People’s Palace in Damascus, one day after arriving in the Syrian capital for an official visit.
“We stand beside you to reaffirm our confidence in the Syrian people and in the work you are doing to establish peace, security and prosperity. I believe freedom is a cause we share. You have assumed your responsibilities and achieved much so far,” Macron said.
Referring to security cooperation, Macron added, “The fight against terrorism is difficult, and you are waging it with determination. We are ready to provide assistance and cooperate in the field of security by strengthening capabilities, training and empowerment.”
The French president also stressed the importance of accountability in Syria, saying, “For Syria’s future, the voices of the victims must be heard, justice must be achieved, and those responsible for crimes must be prosecuted, whoever they are.”
He announced that France would return more than €50 million to Syria, describing the funds as illicit gains linked to a member of former President Bashar al-Assad’s family.
Macron also confirmed that France and Syria had agreed to appoint ambassadors from both sides and to strengthen bilateral relations through a new partnership while supporting Syria in international forums.