Syria says progress made in removing chemical weapons remnants
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said on Thursday that Syria had achieved new progress in efforts to remove remnants of chemical weapons linked to the former Syrian government’s program.
His remarks came two days after the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) announced in its monthly report that inspectors had discovered large quantities of undeclared chemical weapons and related materials during a mission carried out in Syria with support from Syrian authorities.
In a post published on X, al-Shaibani said specialized national teams had located munitions, precursor materials, mixing equipment, and storage facilities connected to the former program.
He added that the materials had been secured and transferred to specialized facilities in preparation for destruction.
“The progress achieved came after months of national, intelligence, and technical work,” al-Shaibani wrote, adding that efforts included collecting and analyzing information, accessing high-risk sites, and facilitating visits by OPCW inspection teams to dozens of locations.
He also said Syrian authorities had made progress in pursuing individuals allegedly involved in the former chemical weapons program.
“What has been achieved today reflects the level of cooperation with the organization within the vision of the new Syria, contributing to preserving security and stability, protecting our people, and representing the new Syria based on transparency and joint cooperation,” al-Shaibani added in his statement.
The OPCW has continued inspections and monitoring activities in Syria for years following international investigations into the use of chemical weapons during the Syrian conflict.