Iranian-backed Shia group evacuates bases near Syria–Iraq border

DEIR EZ-ZOR, Syria (North Press) – The Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) evacuated its main headquarters near the Syria–Iraq border early on Wednesday following a series of airstrikes that killed two people, a military source told North Press.

The source, who cooperates with the PMF, said the group withdrew from all major positions within the administrative boundaries of al‑Qa’im town, located along the Syrian–Iraqi border.

According to the source, only a limited number of guard posts remain in place after the withdrawal.

The move came after several airstrikes attributed to the United States Armed Forces amid growing regional tensions and ongoing exchanges of strikes between regional actors.

The source said the Shi’ite Iranian-backed PMF had been targeted by around eight airstrikes since the escalation began, with the latest occurring overnight between Tuesday and Wednesday.

The most recent strike reportedly killed two individuals whose identities have not yet been disclosed.

Following the attacks, PMF militants have repositioned inside urban areas and are now operating in smaller groups to reduce the risk of further strikes, the source added.

The developments come as security tensions continue to rise along the Syria–Iraq border, an area that has frequently witnessed military activity involving regional and international forces.

By Omar Abdurrahman