QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The United States Central Command (CENTCOM) announced on Friday the completion of a mission to transfer Islamic State (ISIS) detainees from Syria to Iraq, concluding a weeks-long operation carried out in coordination with regional partners.
In a statement released the same day, CENTCOM said, “Our forces completed the mission of transferring ISIS members from Syria to Iraq following the final flight on the night of February 12.”
According to the statement, the operation lasted 23 days, beginning on January 21, during which US forces successfully transferred more than 5,700 adult ISIS fighters from detention facilities in Syria to prisons in Iraq.
The detainees had been held in facilities guarded by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which have overseen thousands of ISIS prisoners since the group’s territorial defeat in Syria in 2019. The prisons, located in northeast Syria, remain a central component of ongoing counterterrorism efforts led by local authorities in coordination with the international coalition.
Admiral Brad Cooper, commander of US Central Command, praised the operation, saying, “I commend the performance of the entire joint force team that executed this highly complex mission by land and air with strong focus, professionalism, and productive cooperation with our regional partners.”
Cooper also expressed appreciation for Iraqi leadership, noting the importance of transferring detainees for “the security and safety of the region,” according to the statement.
Major General Kevin Lambert, commander of Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve, said the coalition’s coordinated work played a key role in the process. “I am extremely proud of the exceptional work carried out by the coalition,” he said, adding that the successful execution of the organized and secure transfer operation “will help prevent the return of ISIS to Syria.”
The transfer comes amid continued international concerns over the long-term management of ISIS detainees and the security risks posed by overcrowded detention facilities in northeast Syria. Authorities in the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria have repeatedly called for international support and sustainable solutions regarding foreign ISIS fighters and their prosecution.