QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) announced on Tuesday that their units have withdrawn from al-Hawl Camp and redeployed around cities in northern Syria, citing what they described as an “indifferent international stance” toward the issue of Islamic State (ISIS) detainees and their families held in the camp.
In a statement published by its media center, the SDF said that the lack of concrete steps by the international community to address the “serious and complex file” of thousands of ISIS-linked families had forced the force to take “necessary measures” to protect urban areas in northeastern Syria.
“The continued failure of the international community to assume its responsibilities has left our forces facing growing risks and threats targeting the cities and population of northern Syria,” the statement said.
Al-Hawl Camp, located in the countryside of Hasakah, is home to tens of thousands of people, including Syrian and foreign families of ISIS members. The camp has long been described by humanitarian organizations as a major security and humanitarian challenge, with repeated incidents involving sleeper cells, internal violence, and attempts to organize escapes.
The SDF said the redeployment was aimed at reinforcing defensive lines around population centers and preventing potential attacks linked to ISIS cells operating inside and outside the camp. The force did not specify the number of units relocated or the exact locations of the new deployments.
Earlier on Tuesday, heavy clashes were reported in the vicinity of al-Hawl Camp between SDF units and armed groups affiliated with the Syrian government, according to local sources. The confrontations reportedly involved medium and heavy weapons and lasted for several hours. No official casualty figures were released by either side.
International coalition forces, which support the SDF in operations against ISIS, have not issued a statement regarding the latest redeployment as of Tuesday evening.
The SDF media center said further measures would be announced “according to developments on the ground” and reiterated its call for international actors to take “practical responsibility” for the ISIS detainee file.