Russian warplanes hit HTS posts in Syria’s Latakia

IDLIB, Syria (North Press) – Russian warplanes targeted on Tuesday posts of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS, once known as al-Nusra Front) in the countryside of Latakia in northwestern Syria.

An opposition military source told North Press that Russian warplanes targeted the Kabina area in the Jabal al-Akrad north of Latakia with about six airstrikes.

Meanwhile, the Syrian Ministry of Defense announced that nine drones had been shot down and destroyed in the countryside of Latakia and Idlib.

In a statement, the ministry said they intercepted and destroyed nine drones that “terrorists” were attempting to use to attack military positions of the Syrian government forces.

The source added that the Russian strikes coincided with the arrival of a large military convoy from the Turkish forces into Idlib.

The reinforcements included about 50 military vehicles, including artillery and armored vehicles that reached the Turkish posts opposite the city of Saraqib in the east of Idlib.

On Monday, Russian warplanes carried out around 30 airstrikes on several opposition-held areas in the countryside of Idlib and Latakia, marking an unprecedented military escalation in the region recently.

Russian warplanes conducted around 10 airstrikes with high-explosive bombs on the outskirts of the villages of Kinda, Ruwaysa, Sheikh Sndian, and Ghanya in western Idlib, as well as on Kabina in the countryside of Latakia.

The airstrikes targeted HTS posts and killed three militants and injured 12 others with varying degrees of severity.

By Mo’ayed al-Sheikh