Gunmen besiege courthouse in Syria’s Suwayda

SUWAYDA, Syria (North Press) – On Wednesday, an armed group besieged the courthouse in Suwayda, northern Syria, demanding the handover of a girl who had stolen 30 million Syrian pounds (SYP) from a relative of one of the group’s members ten days ago.

The girl was an employee at al-Qadmous Remittance Company in Suwayda, and she surrendered herself to the judiciary after she was threatened to death, local sources said.

Suwayda has been witnessing a state of security chaos and an increase in embezzlement cases among employees in the private sector in remittance companies, the most recent of which was the girl’s misappropriation of an amount of money that had been transferred to a young man from Latakia estimated at 30 million SYP.

“A group of the young man’s relatives besieged the courthouse to take the girl, because the judiciary will not do justice to them,” Mahmoud Rajeh, 35, a relative of the young man who was embezzled, told North Press.

“The girl worked with a large gang of robbery and embezzlement, and the government’s judiciary will not be able to do anything to her, as the judiciary in Suwayda is corrupt and she can easily escape punishment,” he added.

“After besieging the courthouse, one of the judges handed over the girl, and she was taken to an unknown place for investigation by the group to recognize the members of the gang she belonged to, away from the governmental corruption” Rajeh noted.

It is noteworthy that a similar incident happened years ago, when gunmen attacked the courthouse and took out a gang accused of cutting trees and selling them.

Reporting by Sami al-Ali