Local groups threaten electoral committees in Syria’s Daraa
SUWAYDA, Syria (North Press) – On Friday, a prominent figure from the west Daraa countryside, south Syria, said that officials who were assigned to supervise ballot boxes for the presidential elections, abandoned their tasks and canceled the previously set electoral centers.
Anti-government local groups forced those who were assigned to supervise the ballot boxes for the presidential elections set on May 26 to abandon their tasks, he told North Press.
Meanwhile, electoral centers that the government previously decided to adopt in some towns including Sahem El Golan, the west Daraa countryside, and al-Yadudah have been canceled, according to the source, who preferred to be unidentified for security reasons.
During the past period, figures and residents in Daraa issued statements that rejected the elections and threatened to remove any ballot boxes in their areas.
The prominent figure attributed the local groups’ threats against the government electoral committees to their “refusal of Assad’s re-election for a new round after the crimes he committed during the years of war in Daraa and throughout Syria.”
Days ago, the Constitutional Court in Damascus announced names of three candidates including Bashar Assad to run in the May presidential elections in Syria out of 51, of which 48 were rejected.