Afrin Displaced Council ends mission after families return

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The Afrin Displaced Council announced on Sunday the official end of its mission and the closure of its office in Qamishli after completing the return of all displaced families from Afrin to their towns and villages.

Jamal Rashid, co-chair of the Afrin Displaced Council, told North Press that around 11,000 displaced families from Afrin had returned to their original places of residence in nine consecutive batches.

“Today, we issued a statement announcing the end of the Afrin Displaced Council’s mission after sending the ninth and final group of Afrin residents back to their cities and villages,” Rashid said.

He explained that the displaced families had endured years of hardship after being forced to leave Afrin and that their return was carried out in accordance with agreements reached to facilitate the return of all residents to their hometowns and villages.

Rashid said the displaced families had been living across Kobani, Hasakah, and Qamishli, adding that approximately 11,000 families had been relocated to their original homes through nine successive return convoys.

He confirmed that, with the completion of the return process, the Afrin Displaced Council had officially concluded its work after overseeing the return of displaced families following what he described as a very difficult period of displacement.

By Atoun Jan