Trump orders Hegseth to reduce U.S.-South Korea military exercises

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, citing the cost of the drills and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Trump said in a Truth Social post that he was unhappy that the U.S. had agreed to participate in the exercises, which he described as costly and an inappropriate signal toward North Korea.

He also criticized South Korea for declining a U.S. request to participate in efforts to denuclearize Iran.

“I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’” Trump wrote.

Trump said it was too late to cancel the exercises scheduled for Aug. 17-27, so they would instead be scaled back.

The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are designed to strengthen the U.S.-South Korea alliance and improve the two countries’ readiness to respond to regional security threats.

North Korea has condemned the upcoming drills as a rehearsal for an “aggressive war” and warned that this year’s exercises would be more provocative and dangerous than those held last year, according to state media.

The planned exercises include a live-fire drill, a wet-gap crossing and the distribution of prepositioned military equipment.

By Ster Youssef