Last convoy of Afrin IDPs in Hasakah heads home, integration official says
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – More than 1,000 displaced families from Afrin departed on Thursday Hasakah Governorate, northeastern Syria, for their hometowns.
Mustafa Abdi, a member of the presidential team responsible for the integration file and a parliamentarian representing Hasakah Governorate, told North Press the convoy left under comprehensive security arrangements.
He said security measures had been finalized to escort the convoy along the route from Qamishli to Afrin, ensuring the safe return of the families.
Abdi described the convoy as the last group of displaced Afrin residents still living in Hasakah Governorate.
He added that the return of displaced residents from the city of Sere Kaniye (Ras al-Ain) in northeastern Syria remains contingent on completing mine clearance operations in the area.
“Once the area has been cleared of mines, there are three major demining teams currently working, including Syrian Army mine-clearing units, and units from the Division 60, which are working to remove the landmines in the area,” Abdi said.
He added that once the area is fully cleared of landmines and secured, authorities plan to facilitate the return of approximately 12,500 displaced families to Sere Kaniye.