Interior Ministry investigates Damascus explosions

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Syria’s Interior Ministry said on Tuesday it had begun analyzing surveillance camera footage as part of an investigation into the explosions that struck central Damascus earlier in the day.

Interior Minister Anas Khattab told the Syrian state-run Al-Ikhbariya TV that most of those injured were members of the Interior Ministry, adding that the injuries were minor except for four people who were undergoing surgery.

Khattab said the first explosion occurred at 10:15 a.m., followed by a second blast about eight minutes later. He noted that French President Emmanuel Macron’s motorcade was approximately 10 kilometers away from the blast site at the time of the explosions.

The minister said specialized explosive ordnance units searched the surrounding area and confirmed that no third explosive device was present, in an effort to ensure the safety of residents.

He added that some roads around the site remained closed while security operations and inspections continued.

By Atoun Jan