Al-Sharaa praises Macron for continuing Damascus visit

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa praised on Tuesday French President Emmanuel Macron for continuing his official visit to Damascus despite explosions that struck the Syrian capital earlier in the day.

Speaking during a joint appearance, al-Sharaa said Macron had reacted immediately after learning of the blasts.

“I salute his courage. He immediately announced that his visit would continue,” al-Sharaa said.

Earlier on Tuesday, explosive devices detonated near the Ministry of Tourism in central Damascus while Macron was on an official visit to Syria.

Following the explosions, Macron confirmed that his visit would proceed as planned despite the security incident.

In a post on X, Macron wrote, “Nothing can extinguish the aspirations of Syrian women and men to live in a fully sovereign, safe, multicultural and united Syria.”

“This morning, I discovered Syria in all its diversity and witnessed its dignity, courage and determination,” he added, concluding, “My visit continues.”

By Atoun Jan