Syria says It foiled Hezbollah-linked plot targeting officials
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian Interior Ministry announced on Tuesday that it had foiled what it described as a “terrorist plot” allegedly orchestrated by Lebanon’s Hezbollah, targeting state security and senior government figures.
In an official statement, the ministry said its specialized units, in coordination with the General Intelligence Service, carried out “a preemptive and decisive strike” against the network. The operations reportedly took place simultaneously across several provinces, including Damascus, Aleppo, Homs, Tartus, and Latakia.
According to the statement, the raids resulted in dismantling an organized cell whose members had entered Syria after undergoing what authorities described as “intensive specialized training” in Lebanon.
Preliminary investigations, the ministry added, indicated that the group had been preparing to execute a series of coordinated attacks, including targeted assassinations of high-ranking government officials.
The announcement comes amid ongoing security challenges in various parts of Syria, where authorities continue to conduct operations against suspected militant networks. No independent confirmation of the ministry’s claims has yet been reported.
Hezbollah has not issued an immediate response to the allegations.