300 unregistered families in Kobani apply for Syrian citizenship
KOBANI, Syria (North Press) – 300 families classified as “unregistered” (Maktoumeen al-Qayd) have so far submitted applications to obtain Syrian citizenship in Kobani, northern Syria, a local official told North Press on Sunday.
Muslim Abdul Ghani Muslim, a member of the executive council of Kobani Municipality, said that the registration process for unregistered residents began 15 days ago and will continue until May 7, in coordination with committees and civil registry centers in Aleppo Governorate.
Muslim added that past practices by the Baathist government had prevented these families from obtaining Syrian nationality by creating obstacles to their registration in civil records, in addition to issues related to compulsory military service.
He indicated that the municipality is coordinating with a follow-up committee in Aleppo to complete the procedures for registering applications, with the aim of granting citizenship to all unregistered residents.
According to Muslim, applications are being processed on a family basis rather than individually.
On Jan. 16, Syrian Transitional President Ahmad al-Sharaa issued Decree No. 13 of 2026, aimed at granting Syrian citizenship to citizens of Kurdish origin, including those listed as unregistered.