Minister says Syria returns 194 children of detainees to their families   

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Hind Kabawat, Syria’s Minister of Social Affairs and Labor, said on Friday that 194 children of detainees and forcibly disappeared persons from the former regime period have been returned to their families.

Kabawat added that 314 cases had been documented involving children of detainees who were placed in care homes affiliated with the ministry. Of these, 194 children have been reunited with their families, while the remaining files are still under review and follow-up, according to the state news agency Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA).

She pointed out that a committee is currently reviewing 612 cases of children who were attached to other families under Syrian laws to verify their legal status.

Kabawat indicated that investigations into files from 2011 to 2015 have been completed, with work ongoing to cover the remaining years.

She said the cases are being handled in close coordination with the Ministries of Justice, Interior, and Foreign Affairs, and in cooperation with international experts in archiving and verification. She also pointed to “fundamental changes” in the management of care homes to ensure staff efficiency.

Kabawat called on families of the missing to take part in the search efforts, saying the ministry’s doors are open to the public and that hotlines are available to respond to inquiries and provide support. She urged citizens to follow the ministry’s official pages for regular updates on the committee’s work.

By Malin Mohammed