One child killed, five injured in Deir ez-Zor blast

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – One child was killed and five others were injured on Sunday after a landmine left over from past conflicts exploded in the eastern countryside of Deir ez-Zor.

A local source from the town of Hajin told North Press that the explosion occurred in Abu Hassan town, where a group of children had been handling the device and attempting to dismantle it.

The source said the blast resulted in the death of 11-year-old Qasim Mohammad al-Jadou. Another child, Badr Rateb al-Jadou, sustained the amputation of his hand, while four other children from the same family were also injured.

Large areas of Deir ez-Zor countryside remain contaminated with unexploded ordnance and landmines, posing ongoing risks to civilians, particularly children.

The region is under the administration of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria, with the Syrian Democratic Forces continuing efforts to address security threats and remnants of war.

By Atoun Jan