Over 25,000 Syrians return from Lebanon in 72 hours

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – More than 25,000 Syrians have returned from Lebanon through the Jdeidat Yabous border crossing over the past 72 hours, a Syrian government official said on Wednesday.

Mazen Alloush, Director of Relations at the General Authority of Land and Sea Ports, said the influx of returnees was recorded following renewed movement at the border crossing linking Syria and Lebanon.

In a statement to the state-run SANA news agency, Alloush said passenger traffic resumed at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday after a temporary suspension earlier in the day.

The halt occurred after authorities at the Masnaa border crossing on the Lebanese side issued an evacuation alert to safeguard the area from the potential impact of Israeli strikes in Lebanon.

Alloush noted that crossing operations resumed under “intensive organizational and service measures” implemented by staff at the border post to ensure the smooth and orderly passage of travelers.

The Jdeidat Yabous-Masnaa border crossing witnessed heavy traffic as large numbers of Syrian citizens returned home amid the ongoing developments in the region, according to the official.

He added that passenger movement through the crossing has now resumed in both directions after the earlier temporary suspension.

By Malin Mohammed