U.S. Intelligence says up to 20,000 flee Hawl Camp including ISIS members

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The The Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday that U.S. intelligence agencies estimate between 15,000 and 20,000 people—including members of the Islamic State (ISIS)—have fled Hawl Camp in northeastern Syria and are now dispersed across the country.

Citing American officials involved in the latest intelligence assessments, the newspaper said security at the camp “collapsed in recent weeks after Syrian government forces took control of the facility.”

Earlier, The Financial Times reported, quoting sources, that thousands of detainees held in the camp managed to escape through breaches in the perimeter fence and have since scattered throughout Syria.

Some of the detainees were reportedly able to cross illegally into Iraq and Turkey. 

The Syrian state news agency Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) previously stated that the government is working to evacuate the remaining residents of Hawl Camp in preparation for its full closure.

By Mohammed al-Qadi