AANES Negotiation Committee says Syrian government canceled Paris meetings

HASAKAH, Syria (North Press) – A member of the Negotiation Committee of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES) told North Press on Saturday that the last two meetings, which were supposed to be held in Paris, were canceled by the Syrian transitional government.

Sanharib Barsoum, co-chair of the Syriac Union Party and a member of the negotiating committee in northeastern Syria with the Syrian transitional government, explained that this cancellation “gave the guarantor parties the impression that the obstacles came from Damascus, contrary to what had been promoted that it was the Autonomous Administration that was stalling or obstructing progress.”

Barsoum emphasized, “The timeframe set—by the end of the year—has now become very tight, but what matters is that we achieve a number of agreements that can build confidence and pave the way toward broader accords.”

He noted that while several meetings were held with the Syrian government, and others were scheduled but never took place, the real task now is to begin finding practical solutions and points of consensus that meet the aspirations of the Syrian people, especially the communities of northeastern Syria.

Barsoum stressed that the committee represents all groups with their national, religious, and cultural rights,” adding that what they achieve will serve the Syrian people as a whole, strengthen the path toward democracy, and shape Syria’s political future. All components of the country must have the natural right to live with full rights and genuine participation in Syria’s administration, he added.

He concluded by affirming that “As the Autonomous Administration, the SDF, and the Negotiation Committee, we are always ready to hold sessions and remain determined to reach understandings between the two sides.”

By Samer Yassin/Dilsoz Youssef