Syrian forceS reclaim lost positions in Suwayda countryside – Security Source

SUWAYDA, Syria (North Press) – Syrian Internal Security Forces on Sunday regained control over several security posts in rural Suwayda that had earlier been seized by armed Druze groups, a security source confirmed.

The source, quoted by state media, said that the operation came in response to a coordinated attack launched earlier in the day by members of the al-Hajri faction. The attacks targeted several security points located in Tal al-Hadid, Rimat Hazem, and Walgha, areas positioned in the rugged countryside of the southern province.

“In a swift and organized counter-operation, our forces were able to retake the positions and reestablish full control,” the source told SANA, the state-run news agency. “The area has since been secured and clashes have ceased to maintain the continuation of the ceasefire agreement.”

Earlier on Sunday, Syria’s Ministry of Interior released a statement condemning what it described as a violation of the ongoing ceasefire in Suwayda, a governorate that has remained largely under nominal government control but has seen periodic unrest driven by localized armed factions.

The escalation highlights the continued volatility in southern Syria, even as broader frontlines remain mostly static across the country. Suwayda, home to a majority Druze population, has witnessed an uptick in tensions in recent months due to disputes involving governance, security, and long-standing grievances against central authority.

By Saad al-Yazaji.