Two Tunisian families transferred from Roj Camp to Syrian government
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Two Tunisian families comprising four people were transferred from Roj Camp in northeast Syria to the Syrian government earlier this month, a camp official told North Press on Wednesday.
Hakamiya Ibrahim, an administrator at Roj Camp in the countryside of Derik (al-Malikiyah), far northeast Syria, said the handover took place on July 7 in coordination between the camp administration and the Syrian government.
“According to information provided by the Syrian side, the two families have male relatives residing in Syria, and they will be reunited with their families in line with the procedures followed by the government,” Ibrahim said.
She stressed that the transfer was not part of a broader plan to repatriate foreign nationals from the camp.
Ibrahim also denied reports claiming that Moroccan families had been transferred from Roj Camp.
“No Moroccan families have been handed over to any party. Reports circulating about the transfer of Moroccan families from Roj Camp are incorrect,” she said.
On Tuesday, Moroccan media reported that the number of Moroccan women who have returned from Syria has risen to 14 in recent weeks, accompanied by their children, following the return of nine additional women and 10 children.
According to Ibrahim, Roj Camp currently hosts around 750 families, totaling more than 2,200 people from over 50 nationalities.
Roj Camp, administered by the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES), houses foreign women and children with alleged links to the Islamic State (ISIS). The camp has periodically witnessed repatriation operations coordinated with the countries of origin, although such transfers typically require agreements between the relevant governments and local authorities.