Syrian Atomic Energy Commission denies reports of handing over research reactor
DAMASCUS, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian Atomic Energy Commission on Sunday dismissed reports circulating on social media claiming that Syria’s “MNSR” research reactor had been handed over, describing the information as misleading and lacking any official, technical, or legal basis.
In a statement published on its official platforms, the commission said the rumors were aimed at creating confusion and distorting facts related to the work of the commission and state institutions.
The commission stressed that the reactor is dedicated to peaceful scientific applications, research, and training purposes, and has been under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency since its establishment.
According to the statement, the ongoing procedures concern the replacement of high-enriched uranium fuel with low-enriched fuel after the former reached the end of its operational lifespan. The process is being carried out in line with Syria’s international obligations under the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.
The commission emphasized that the fuel replacement operation will be conducted under the direct supervision of the IAEA and in accordance with internationally recognized standards.
It further clarified that the process is purely technical and operational in nature and does not involve any form of “handover” or “transfer of sovereignty.” No facilities, equipment, or ownership rights will be transferred, and no action has been taken that affects the Syrian state’s ownership of the reactor, the statement said.
The commission added that it would pursue all necessary legal measures against individuals or entities responsible for spreading the rumors, citing laws that prohibit the dissemination of false information that could undermine national security or harm state institutions.