QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Internal Security Forces (Asayish) launched on Thursday a security campaign targeting unlicensed weapons and uncontrolled arms in the city of Qamishli and its countryside, a security source told North Press.
The campaign comes days after two people were killed and several others injured by stray bullets during celebrations marking the release of detainees by the Syrian government last Friday.
The security source said the operation will also include military personnel carrying weapons without official assignments or authorization.
According to the source, patrols and checkpoints have been deployed in several neighborhoods across the city and nearby rural areas as part of efforts to limit the spread of unauthorized weapons and prevent further security incidents.
Qamishli, like many cities across Syria, has witnessed a widespread proliferation of weapons in recent years amid ongoing instability and conflict, contributing to repeated incidents involving stray gunfire and public safety concerns.
The Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES) and its affiliated security forces have previously announced measures aimed at regulating weapons possession and enhancing public security in areas under their control.