Syrian Interior Ministry dismantles drug network in Damascus countryside

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the dismantling of a drug trafficking network in Damascus countryside, stating that approximately one million narcotic pills were seized during the operation.

In a statement, the ministry said its Anti-Narcotics Department carried out “a series of complex and qualitative security operations,” which resulted in dismantling what it described as an international trafficking link, uncovering secret manufacturing sites, and targeting local distribution points.

According to the statement, the network had been operating in the border area of Rankous in Damascus countryside. Authorities reported the seizure of nearly one million captagon pills, along with one kilogram of hashish. The shipment, the ministry said, had entered from Lebanon and was intended for smuggling through Syrian territory toward neighboring countries.

The ministry added that three prominent members of the network were arrested during the operation.

It further noted that anti-narcotics units managed to locate former sites used for the production of captagon pills, which contained quantities of raw materials as well as advanced machinery and logistical equipment.

By Atoun Jan