Syria says it foiled Hezbollah-linked sabotage plot

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian Interior Ministry announced on Sunday that it had thwarted what it described as a sabotage plot linked to Lebanon’s Hezbollah, following a joint operation carried out by internal security forces and the General Intelligence Service.

In a statement reported by the state-run SANA news agency, the ministry said, “A sabotage plot carried out by a cell linked to the terrorist Hezbollah militia was foiled in a joint operation between internal security and the General Intelligence Service, which had intended to launch rockets beyond the borders to destabilize the situation.”

The ministry added that similar attempts had occurred in previous periods, stating, “Such attempts have been repeated in earlier times, where sensitive sites were targeted, including the Mezzeh Military Airport, in addition to other attempts that targeted religious figures, within activities aimed at undermining stability and spreading chaos.”

It further noted that the latest attempt took place in Quneitra province, where security units, in coordination with the General Intelligence Service, arrested members of what it described as a sabotage cell. According to the statement, the group had been preparing to carry out an attack from inside Syrian territory against targets outside the country.

No independent confirmation of the incident was immediately available, and Hezbollah has not commented on the accusations.

By Atoun Jan