Trial opens in Netherlands for Syrian man accused of torture

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The trial of a Syrian man accused of crimes against humanity, including torture and sexual violence during Syria’s conflict, began on Wednesday before the District Court of The Hague.

The 58-year-old defendant, identified as Rafiq al Q. under Dutch privacy regulations, denied dozens of charges and claimed he was the target of a conspiracy. Prosecutors said he had been a member of the pro-government National Defense Force and served as a lead interrogator for the group during the war.

Speaking through an interpreter, the defendant accused the nine victims, witnesses, and Dutch police of fabricating the case. He told judges he had worked as a civil servant in the city of Salamiyah, Hama Governorate, and denied any involvement in torture.

At one point, the defendant attempted to submit what he described as evidence by waving a paper at the presiding judge. His lawyer, André Seebregts, said he was unaware of the document’s contents, prompting the defendant to respond that he did not share everything with his legal counsel.

The case is being tried under the principle of universal jurisdiction, which allows national courts to prosecute suspects for international crimes such as war crimes and crimes against humanity regardless of where they were committed.

The man applied for asylum in the Netherlands in 2021 and was living in the town of Druten when he was arrested in 2023.

Dutch courts have previously prosecuted Syrians for crimes committed during the conflict. In 2024, a former senior member of a pro-government militia was convicted of illegal detention and complicity in torture, while another Syrian man was convicted in 2021 of war crimes related to the summary execution of a detainee.

Hearings in the Dutch case are scheduled to continue for two weeks, with a verdict expected on June 9.

By Jwan Shekaki