First convoy of Afrin IDPs departs under security escort

HASAKAH, Syria (North Press) – The first convoy of internally displaced families from Afrin set off on Monday under security and humanitarian escort to facilitate their return to their homes.

Ahmad al‑Hilali, spokesperson for Syria’s presidential team overseeing the implementation of the agreement with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), told North Press that security preparations had been made along the route to receive the displaced families returning to Afrin.

Earlier in the day, the first convoy, consisting of about 400 displaced families, departed from the city of Qamishli toward Hasakah, from where they will continue their journey to their original homes in the Afrin region in northwest Syria.

Al-Hilali said that relief institutions, emergency teams, and civil defense units are on full alert along the route to ensure the safe arrival of the displaced families.

“We will accompany the displaced until they reach their homes, and today’s group has been cleared to return,” he added.

Al-Hilali noted that the convoy represents the first group of displaced people returning to Afrin, adding that additional batches are expected to follow in the coming period.

Thousands of residents of Afrin were displaced following the Operation Olive Branch, which resulted in the displacement of large numbers of Kurdish residents to areas in northeastern Syria.

By Dilsoz Youssef/Samer Yassin