Two attacks target government forces in Deir ez-Zor

DEIR EZ-ZOR, Syria (North Press) – Unknown gunmen carried out on Tuesday two separate attacks against Syrian government forces in the countryside of Deir ez-Zor, eastern Syria, a security source said.

A source from the General Security in Deir ez-Zor told North Press that assailants planted an improvised explosive device (IED) targeting a military vehicle near al-Hayat Roundabout in the center of Abu Kamal town, east of Deir ez-Zor.

The source explained that the explosion occurred after the vehicle had been parked and its personnel had disembarked, resulting in the vehicle’s complete destruction.

The vehicle reportedly belonged to the Border Guard forces. 

The explosion also injured a civilian who happened to be near the site at the time of the explosion. The injured person was transferred to a medical point for treatment, the source added.

In a separate incident, unknown attackers opened fire with a machine gun on a government military position on the outskirts of al-Asharah town in the southeastern countryside of Deir ez-Zor, triggering brief clashes before the attackers fled the area.

The attack caused material losses, according to the same source. 

The source suggested that the Islamic State (ISIS) was likely behind the two attacks, though no official comment has been issued so far.

By Omar Abdurrahman