QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Two people were killed and a third injured on Monday when a landmine left over from previous fighting exploded in the eastern countryside of Homs, central Syria, a local source said.
A source from the city of Palmyra (Tadmor) told North Press that “a landmine from war remnants exploded on a group of young men from the city near the village of Huways, close to Jabal al-Amour in the Palmyra desert.”
The explosion killed Omar Adnan al-Madhi and Ahmad Ragheb al-Suleiman, while Rajab Ismail was injured, the source added.
According to the source, the three young men had been roaming the desert area of Jabal al-Amour to collect scrap metal from positions that previously belonged to Iranian-backed factions in the region.
Landmines and unexploded ordnance remain a major threat in several parts of Syria, particularly in former conflict zones and desert areas where control has frequently shifted during the war.