AANES welcomes mediated plan to redeploy forces in Aleppo to NE Syria

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES) said late Friday that it welcomes an offer by international mediating powers to redeploy forces currently stationed in the Kurdish Sheikh Maqsoud neighborhood in Aleppo city, northwestern Syria, to areas east of the Euphrates River, provided the process is carried out safely.

In a statement published on its official platforms, the AANES stressed that “the protection of civilians in the Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh neighborhoods remains one of our top priorities.”

The statement came after an announcement that an agreement had been reached between Syria’s transitional government and the Kurdish Neighborhoods Council in Aleppo, following days of military escalation that began last week.

It added that any redeployment must be conditional on “the presence of local Kurdish protection forces and a local council representing the residents of the two neighborhoods in line with the April 1 agreement.”

Meanwhile, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) said that more than 30,000 people have been forced to flee their homes in search of safety in other parts of Aleppo and in neighboring cities amid the ongoing escalation.

By Malin Mohammed