Newspaper reveals details of messages between Damascus, SDF leadership
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The London-based newspaper al-Quds al-Arabi published on Saturday details of written messages exchanged between Syria’s Minister of Defense, Murhaf Abu Qasra, and the commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), General Mazloum Abdi, concerning a proposed framework for integrating the SDF into the Syrian army.
According to the report, the Syrian Ministry of Defense last week received the SDF’s formal response to what Damascus described as a “detailed proposal” for integration. The proposal was sent by Abu Qasra to Abdi as part of efforts to implement the March 10, 2025 agreement, which calls for incorporating the SDF into Syrian state institutions before the end of the year.
Al-Quds al-Arabi said the two documents highlight “fundamental gaps in vision” between the two sides on military, security, and administrative arrangements.
Under the proposal submitted by Abu Qasra on Dec. 7, Damascus agreed to the formation of three SDF divisions in Raqqa, al-Hasakah, and Deir ez-Zor, with one division per governorate. Each division would reportedly consist of 5,000 fighters, totaling 15,000 personnel under revised military structures. The newspaper noted that the SDF has previously estimated a division at around 20,000 fighters under older Syrian army structures, and has stated it has more than 100,000 fighters overall.
The defense ministry’s proposal stressed the need for “genuine local community representation” within each division to reflect the social diversity of eastern Syria. It also stipulated that the divisions would fall directly under the Ministry of Defense, with their commanders granted equivalent ranks to existing division commanders, reportedly at the rank of brigadier general under the new administrative system.
The report added that the proposal avoided addressing a prior SDF list of around 50 nominees for senior military ranks, including General Abdi, a move the newspaper described as intended to prevent early escalation of disputes.
According to al-Quds al-Arabi, the proposal did not address the status of the Women’s Protection Units or the Internal Security Forces (Asayish), nor their possible affiliation with the Interior Ministry, an omission attributed to overlapping authorities requiring political-level discussions.
An annex to the proposal reportedly focused on border crossings and oil resources, describing them as sovereign issues to be managed exclusively by the central government. It also called for the immediate handover of oil and gas resources to relevant ministries, arguing revenues should be distributed through the state budget.
In its written response, signed by General Mazloum Abdi 13 days later, the SDF welcomed acceptance of the division structure but requested the addition of three independent brigades: the Women’s Protection Brigade, a Counterterrorism Brigade, and a Border Guard Brigade.
The SDF also proposed the inclusion of 35 officers within the Defense Ministry’s boards and departments, permanent representation within the General Staff, and the appointment of a deputy defense minister for eastern Syria.
On borders, the SDF rejected full central control as proposed, suggesting joint patrols and coordination mechanisms. It said oil, local administration, and civilian institutions should be addressed through a separate political track, emphasizing the need for a decentralized constitutional solution.
No official comments were issued by either side following the publication, and discussions related to the March agreement remain ongoing.