Trump vows heavy retaliation as U.S. intensifies Hawkeye strikes on ISIS

QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Saturday what he described as “very serious retaliation” against ISIS in Syria, following the killing of American personnel earlier this month near Palmyra.  

In a statement posted on Social Truth, Trump said the United States had begun striking ISIS strongholds across Syria in response to what he called the group’s “vicious killing of brave American patriots.”

He added that the fallen Americans were returned home earlier this week in what he described as a dignified ceremony.

“We are striking very strongly against ISIS strongholds in Syria, a place soaked in blood which has many problems, but one that has a bright future if ISIS can be eradicated,” Trump said. 

He warned that any group threatening or attacking the United States would face overwhelming force.

The remarks come after U.S. forces launched Operation Hawkeye Strike early on Saturday, a large-scale campaign targeting ISIS militants, infrastructure, and weapons sites across Syria.

The operation was announced by U.S. officials as a direct response to a Dec. 13 ISIS ambush near Palmyra in central Syria that killed two American service members and a civilian interpreter.

Since then, U.S.-led Global Coalition forces have carried out multiple air and missile strikes, including operations that local sources say killed senior ISIS figures and destroyed hideouts in the Raqqa–Deir ez-Zor desert.

The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) welcomed the strikes, calling them crucial to preventing ISIS from regrouping.

By Jwan Shekaki