Israeli strike in Qatar sparks regional condemnation and tensions
DAMASCUS, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian Foreign Ministry condemned on Tuesday an Israeli airstrike that targeted leaders of the Palestinian group Hamas in Qatar, calling on the international community to “take a firm stand against Israel” and expressing solidarity with Doha.
The Israeli military confirmed it carried out the strike, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declaring, “Israel initiated it, Israel executed it, and Israel takes full responsibility.” Defense Minister Benny Gantz said the operation was launched to “thwart Hamas leaders’ plans” after receiving what he described as a timely operational opportunity.
The attack, which struck the Qatari capital Doha on Tuesday afternoon, is believed to have targeted a Hamas delegation engaged in discussions over a U.S.-backed ceasefire proposal. Palestinian sources told media outlets that the delegation had been meeting with Qatari officials regarding a truce plan.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned what he called an “Israeli aggression” against Qatar, labeling it a “cowardly assault” and a “flagrant violation of international law that threatens regional security.”
Jordan described the strike as “an act of aggression and a blatant breach of international law,” reiterating its support for Qatar’s sovereignty. Saudi Arabia denounced the strike as a “flagrant violation,” warning of “serious consequences” if Israel continued to disregard international norms. The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Iraq, Algeria, Oman, and Turkey also issued strong condemnations, each affirming solidarity with Qatar.
The U.S. embassy in Doha issued an emergency alert urging American citizens to remain indoors. A U.S. official told an Israeli channel, “Israel informed us after launching the missiles; we had no ability to influence the operation,” confirming Washington’s late awareness of the strike.
Internationally, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres denounced the airstrike as “a blatant violation of Qatar’s sovereignty and territorial integrity,” urging all parties to work toward a lasting ceasefire rather than escalating violence.
The timing of the strike coincides with renewed efforts to secure a truce between Israel and Hamas. Reports indicate that Hamas had recently agreed to a U.S.-brokered proposal for a ceasefire, which Israeli officials described as a “final condition” before continuing military operations. Hours before the strike, Qatar’s Prime Minister met senior Hamas official Khalil al-Hayya to discuss the plan.
The strike marks the first known Israeli attack inside a Gulf state since the war began, raising concerns over the potential expansion of Israel’s military campaign beyond its traditional conflict zones.
Qatar has not yet released an official response, though its role as a key mediator in Israel-Hamas negotiations is widely seen as facing new challenges following the attack.