Hasakah schools prepare for 410,506 students, Kurdish curriculum continues
HASAKAH, Syria (North Press) – The Media Office of the Directorate of Education in Hasakah Governorate, northeastern Syria, told North Press on Wednesday that 2,317 schools are ready to receive around 410,506 students at the start of the 2026/2027 academic year, including 241,081 students who will study the Autonomous Administration’s Kurdish curriculum.
It added that all schools in the governorate are now administratively unified under the Directorate of Education, with no longer a division between government schools and those affiliated with the Autonomous Administration. A single school may include classes teaching in different languages or following different curricula, it said.
An official at the Hasakah Education Media Office said, “Teaching the Autonomous Administration’s Arabic-language curriculum has been completely discontinued, while the Kurdish-language curriculum continues for Kurdish students. Students from other communities will study the official government curriculum adopted in Damascus.”
The official explained that Syria’s Ministry of Education officially recognizes the approved Kurdish curriculum issued by the Autonomous Administration alongside the government curriculum, until work on a comprehensive national curriculum is completed.
Some 20,000 new school desks will be distributed in coordination with the Ministry of Education. The final number of government textbooks to be distributed this year has not yet been determined and will be based on schools’ needs.
Last year, schools in Hasakah Governorate received around 200,000 government curriculum textbooks, while Kurdish-language textbooks are ready for distribution at the start of the academic year, according to the official.
Regarding damaged schools, the Education Ministry, the directorate and Hasakah Governorate are coordinating with UNICEF and international organizations to renovate several schools that were completely or partially destroyed. Renovation work on some schools is expected to be completed during the first semester, while work on others will continue beyond that period.
The governorate has more than 100 schools that are either completely or partially destroyed, according to the official.
The official said the directorate will conduct a comprehensive census of teachers in cities, subdistricts and other areas across the governorate, ahead of reallocating and distributing them according to schools’ needs and the number of staff required for each subject and curriculum.