Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz as ‘new U.S. territory’
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks with Iran are underway or scheduled, contradicting his envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner, who said a day earlier that Washington and Tehran were engaged in “very positive and active conversations.”
“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social. “The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect.”
Trump also posted a map labeling the Strait of Hormuz as “NEW U.S. Territory,” reviving his suggestion that the strategic waterway could come under U.S. control.
The comments came as the nearly six-month-old Iran war continues with no clear sign of a settlement. Trump said the strait remains open and that all sea mines had been removed or detonated.
U.S. sources told AFP that positive discussions had taken place with Iranian officials, but Trump had decided to wait and instructed his team not to engage until Tehran was ready to reach a deal.
Fighting has eased in recent weeks, although tensions remained high Tuesday after the United Arab Emirates accused Iran of launching two ballistic missiles toward maritime navigation. The missiles landed at sea. Iran denied firing a missile toward the UAE.
The UAE subsequently announced it was suspending all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran, citing “regional escalations.”
The Strait of Hormuz, through which about one-fifth of the world’s oil supply normally passes, has been effectively closed by Iran in retaliation for the war launched by the U.S. and Israel on Feb. 28.
Iran has said it will not reopen the waterway until Washington lifts its blockade of Iranian ports, removes oil sanctions, unfreezes Iranian assets and pays war damages.
Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the strait would remain closed until the US implements commitments under a memorandum of understanding.
Kushner said Monday that Trump was prepared to be “very patient” and did not want to rush into an agreement.
Qatar, a key mediator in stalled U.S.-Iran talks, said Tuesday that an agreement between Iran and Oman over the Strait of Hormuz could help create conditions for negotiations to resume.
Trump has repeatedly raised territorial expansion as a response to foreign policy disputes since returning to office in 2025, including suggestions involving Canada, Greenland, Cuba and the Gaza Strip.
The prolonged Iran war has also contributed to higher prices for US consumers ahead of November’s midterm elections, which will determine whether Trump’s Republicans retain control of Congress.