Syria denies security deal with Israel after Idlib airbase strikes

DAMASCUS, Syria (North Press) – Syria denied on Tuesday any security agreement with Israel after Israeli strikes on Abu al-Duhur airbase in Idlib Governorate, northwestern Syria, rejecting claims that Damascus was preparing to allow Turkish forces to deploy there.

Sources at the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates told Al Jazeera news channel that there is no agreement between Syria and Israel involving any specific arrangements or security status quo, stressing that Israel targeted Abu al-Duhur military airbase in Idlib despite being informed that there were no foreign forces inside the base.

The Syrian denial came after the Israeli strike on Abu al-Duhur airbase. In its response to the attack, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said Syria “was on the verge of breaching” the status quo on security matters with Israel.

Netanyahu’s office added that Damascus had been close to “permitting Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo,” saying Syria had chosen to ignore Israeli warnings over the deployment.

The office stressed that “Israel repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to Israel’s security. Syria chose to ignore these warnings. Israel will not tolerate threats to its security, and would welcome a return to the status quo.”

In contrast, Israel’s Channel 12 quoted an Israeli official as saying there was a possibility of achieving political gains in exchange for withdrawal from Syria, but added that the timing is not yet right.

The Israeli government has separately said the strike was linked to concerns over a potential Turkish military deployment at a Syrian airbase near Aleppo.

By Taysir Mohammed