AANES to suspend school attendance amid influenza surge in NE Syria
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – An official of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES) told North Press on Tuesday that school attendance will be temporarily closed amid a sharp rise in influenza infections among students across the region.
The official said the decision was taken as a precautionary measure to curb transmission, particularly among young children, following reports of a surge in seasonal influenza cases.
A joint meeting between the AANES Health and Education boards is expected to be held to assess the situation and agree on response measures.
“To limit the spread of the virus, especially among children, schools will be suspended for a short period,” the official said, adding that school buildings will undergo comprehensive disinfection before classes resume to ensure a safe learning environment.
The official noted that a detailed statement will be issued in the coming days outlining the scope and severity of the outbreak, as well as any further preventive steps.
Earlier on Tuesday, a doctor in Kobani city, northern Syria, told North Press that the area has seen a significant increase in cases of H3N2 influenza, with between 900 and 1,000 patients—mostly children and elderly people—seeking medical care on a daily basis.
Local media outlets also reported that the People’s Hospital in Derik (al-Malikiyah), in the far northeast Syria, is receiving more than 200 patients per day presenting symptoms consistent with viral influenza.
Health officials have urged residents to take preventive measures, including avoiding crowded places, maintaining hygiene, and seeking medical attention if symptoms worsen.
Seasonal influenza outbreaks are common during colder months, but limited healthcare resources and overcrowded facilities in Northeast Syria often heighten concerns about rapid spread and pressure on hospitals.