New round of talks expected between Syrian government, SDF
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Sources told North Press on Wednesday that a new round of negotiations will be held “soon” between the Syrian transitional government and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) to discuss the implementation of the March 10 Agreement.
The sources said that Tom Barrack, U.S. Special Envoy to Syria, will attend the meeting, and Admiral Brad Cooper, Commander of the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), who also oversees the negotiation process between Damascus and the SDF, is expected to take part as well.
One of the sources noted that “the United States continues to work closely to ensure the successful completion of the integration process,” referring to ongoing efforts to incorporate SDF forces into Syria’s national defense structure under the transitional government.
The March 10 Agreement, reached earlier this year under U.S. mediation, outlines a framework for the gradual integration of the SDF into a unified Syrian military institution and for joint coordination on counterterrorism operations against the Islamic State (ISIS).
The deal also includes provisions on security governance in northeastern Syria and the redistribution of administrative responsibilities between Damascus and the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES).
Talks between the two sides have been marked by intermittent progress and tensions over command structures, political representation, and guarantees for regional autonomy.
Washington’s continued involvement is seen as crucial to ensuring the agreement’s implementation and preventing renewed hostilities between the Syrian government and the SDF.