The Roman Bridge, or Ain Diwar Bridge, on the Tigris River, about 17 km from the city of Derik, northeastern Syria.
The Roman Bridge, or Ain Diwar Bridge, as it is called locally, is located on the Tigris River in the village of Ain Diwar, about 17 km from the city of Derik in the far northeastern Syria.
The bridge is considered one of the most important landmarks in the region. It dates back to 1164 AD. It was built during the period of Prince Jamal al-Din, Prince of bin Omar Island (Botan Island) at the end of the Abbasid era.
The bridge was one of the main crossings of the famous Silk Road, and the only passage for trade caravans due to the extension of the Tigris River at that time and the expansion of its course.
The bridge was built of black basalt stones and plaster, and only one arch remains, after it consisted of three arches.